BERL’s preliminary assessment of the impact of Aoraki Polytechnic on South Canterbury has just been released.
In summary, Aoraki Polytechnic in 2011
• directly employed the equivalent of 192 full-time staff, and a further 28 contractors
• attracted 2,147 domestic students, and 28 international students
• spent $13.5 million locally to operate the Polytechnic
Total expenditure by students and the Polytechnic operations totalled $51.8 million over the year.
Adjusting for out-of-region spending, and for multiplier effects, BERL estimate this generated
• $47.4 million in GDP in South Canterbury
• the equivalent of 702 full-time jobs
The assessment was undertaken for Aoraki Development Business and Tourism and the Timaru District Council.